Sunday, October 17, 2010

Super Smash Brothers

Geeeeeeeze. Just 10 minutes ago, I had to TEAR myself away from playing the game that IS the title of this blog post. It. Is. Possibly. The. Best. Game. Ever
So innovative, I love it. I can't believe it took game makers--Nintendo for that matter, one of the best in the business-- that long to come up with a game of this caliber! It all began on the largely successful Nintendo 64 platform, in April of 1999, and what a glorious time that was. Kids from around the nation would gather at friends houses to play this awesome, cross-nintendo-character fighting game. I was one of those kids!
At the mere age of 8, I was already heavily involved in my addiction: video games. And this was just the fix that I needed. Haha. I'll take you through a tour of the game.
There are two different modes of play: single player or multiplayer. I prefer multiplayer, that way everyone can join in on the fun, and it's just WAYYYY better than boring ol' single player. There are 12 players consisting of Luigi, Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, Ness, Yoshi (my favorite ;) ), Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff. There's a good amount of characters so it's easy to find which one you play best as, which moves you prefer, and which hits you prefer. I like Yoshi the best because his power hits are quite strong, and his jump is one of the best in the game. Also, because he's just a cute dinosaur, I just can't help but love that little guy. So I play as him. Now, After you and your friends have argued for who's going to be who and such, it's time to select the map you'll be playing on.
Remember all those levels you once played throughout your video game career on Nintendo 64? Sector Z from Star Fox? Congo Jungle from Donkey Kong? The Castle from Legend of Zelda? Or maybe Yoshi's Story! Whichever one you please, everyone's sure to have a good time, filled with excitement and nostalgia. There are 9 maps to choose from, so take your pick!
Lastly, but most importantly: the gameplay. When the round begins, everyone starts at 0 %. As you take damage, your percent goes up. What determines the rate at which your percent goes up is the type of attack that the opponent used on you. If it's a power hit, like what I referred to with Yoshi, then the damage can range anywhere from 15% to 25%, just depends on the character. Likewise, if it's a normal hit, it might just add 6-9% on the  opponent. Still good, still good! To kill people you must hit them out to the side of the map, the bottom of the map, or out the top of the map. The higher there percentage, the more prone they are to just being SENT, no matter what the strength of the hit. They become more and more sensitive to attacks, where a guy with 145% will be sent CLEAR out of the map by even the smallest hit. Got an idea of how the gameplay is? The only idea you should be getting is that it is so legit.
Now, I'm 18. But do you think that age and adulthood has kept me from playing this game? No way. Furthermore,  Hal Laboratories and Nintendo have partnered up over the years to bring us more fantastic games from the Super Smash Series, including Super Smash Brothers Melee and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. So, I thank you Nintendo for being the first to come up with such a great game with AMAZING replay value. And I hope you've enjoyed this post and are a little more enlightened now than before you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment